These puff pastry squares with apples are a warm, simple, quick and delicious autumn dessert. They fill the house with a scent of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with fruit and caramelized sugar. The diced apples are quickly sautéed in a pan with caramelized sugar, spices and butter to become soft and delicious. Then these fruit cubes are covered with squares of puff pastry and baked in the oven. This way you can prepare a super quick dessert to be served both hot and cold with some powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.
Caramelized apples with puff pastry squares – easy and quick dessert
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 5 medium apples
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp water
- ½-1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 store bought puff pastry sheet (230 g)
Instructions caramelized apples with puff pastry squares – easy and quick dessert
- Wash, peel and cut 5 medium apples into not too small cubes and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan pour 4 tablespoons of sugar and turn on the flame. Melt the sugar and wait until it turns golden brown. Be careful not to burn the caramel or it will become bitter. Lower the heat and add a spoonful of butter. Stir quickly and add your apples.
- Add a pinch of salt, spices and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix well and cook over medium-low heat until the apples are tender.
- Pour the apples and the sauce into the pyrex or cast iron dish and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile unroll the puff pastry and using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter divide it into many small squares. Cover the apples with the pieces of puff pastry and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake in a preheated static oven at 200 ° C for 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry turns golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve after a few minutes with vanilla ice cream or once cold with some powder sugar.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the refrigerator and eat within a short period of time as the puff pastry tends to soften in the refrigerator and loses its friability. You can reheat the dessert the next day in the oven to make it hot again.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another easy dessert with apples, check out my recipe for Fluffy no-butter pancakes with apples and yogurt (photo below) or Easy puff pastry croissants with apples and cinnamon (photo below).