You don’t have to be a professional pastry chef to make this extraordinary and very easy phyllo and lemon cream cake also known as Crinkle Cake. It’s a simple dessert made with store-bought phyllo dough covered in sweet batter with lemon juice and zest, condensed milk and poppy seeds. The batter is prepared with very few ingredients and during baking it becomes a shiny, sweet (but not too sweet) and rippled cream thanks to the layers of phyllo dough. Absolutely worth trying.
Lemon and poppy seeds phyllo crinkle cake
- 50-60 g melted butter
- 250 g store bought phyllo dough
- 395 ml condensed milk
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- powdered sugar for decoration
- some fruit for decoration
Instructions Lemon and poppy seeds phyllo crinkle cake
- Open the package of phyllo pastry and divide the sheets into pairs. Brush one sheet with melted butter and then cover it with another. Now fold the two sheets together like an accordion. Set aside. Proceed in the same way creating pairs of overlapping and folded sheets.
- Take a round ceramic or glass baking tray (I do not recommend the aluminum springform pan). Starting from the center of the pan, roll the sheets on themselves creating a swirl. Add additional sheets to create a large swirl. Spread the layers with your fingertips to create some space between the layers, then brush the surface with the remaining melted butter. Bake for 20 minutes at 180° C.
- Meanwhile, mix the condensed milk with the lemon (or orange) juice, 2 eggs and half a cup of milk. Add the grated peel of a lemon and 2 large spoons of poppy seeds and mix again.
- Take the cooked phyllo dough cake from the oven and pour the prepared batter over it, distributing it evenly with the back of the spoon. Bake again at 180°C for another 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool completely. If you like, decorate with powdered sugar and a few pieces of fruit and serve.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the refrigerator and eat within 3 – 4 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like simple cakes, also check out my recipe for Puff pastry braid filled with cream cheese, pears and candied fruit (photo below) or Soft apple, coconut, lemon and Greek yogurt cake (photo below).