This carrot and orange pound cake uses carrot puree which gives it a beautiful color and a mild flavor that goes perfectly with the cinnamon and nutmeg. The thin layer of orange glaze adds a touch of extra sweetness. Perfect for breakfast along with a cup of tea to warm you up against first autumn chills.
Carrot and orange pound cake
- 5 or more medium carrots
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 100 g brown sugar
- 200 ml olive oil
- 0.5 big orange only the zest
- 440 g all-purpose flour
- 85 g wholemeal flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 120 g powdered sugar
- 0.5 orange only the juice
Instructions: Carrot and orange pound cake
- Wash and peel your carrots. Cut them into small pieces similar to each other and cook them in boiling water until they become tender. Blend the carrots with a little bit of their cooking water until you have a cup and a half of carrot purè. Set aside and allow to cool completely. This procedure can be performed the night before. The purè should be stored in the refrigerator and then brought back to room temperature.
- Place the sugar and the oil in a bowl. Mix everything with the whisk.
- Add the eggs and continue to whisk for another minute.
- Add the mashed carrots and some orange zest. Mix everything.
- Add previously sifted flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Mix together briefly.
- Pour the batter into the pan (30 x 11 cm) lined with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for 50 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center of the cake comes out dry.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with the orange juice and set aside.
- Take the cake out from the oven and after 5 minutes out of the pan.
Brush with orange glaze while still hot. Let it cool completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love spiced cakes with hidden veggies check my Zucchini cake. (foto below)