These delicious mini focaccias were served to me by a friend together with an excellent vegetable stew. I immediately stole the recipe and I modified it slightly. These buns are soft and very tasty with the addition of spices like cumin, coriander, mint and onion. Tasty both cold and hot. Perfect with hot dishes like vegetable and legume stews.
Mini focaccias with cumin, coriander and mint
- 380 g bread flour
- 70 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 280 ml warm water
- 0.5 medium onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tsp fresh or dried mint
Instructions mini focaccias with cumin, coriander and mint
- In a dry pan toast, for a couple of minutes, coriander and cumin seeds. Pour the spices in a mortar, add dry mint and grind. If you use fresh mint grind first coriander and cumin and then add finely chopped mint leaves into the mix.
- In a large bowl sift flour and salt. Separately dissolve yeast, water and sugar. Pour the mixture in the center of the flour and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes or in an stand mixer with a dough hook until it becomes smooth and elastic. Lightly grease a bowl with some olive oil, transfer the dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles the volume.The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 8 to 10 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a ball, make it flat and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with a cotton cloth for 15 minutes during which you are going to prepare the topping.Finely chop the onion and mix it with spices and oil. Spread the onion mixture on the buns.
- Preheat oven to 200 ° C and bake the mini focaccias for 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like your flatbread or focaccia with interesting toppings check my Fougasse – focaccia with blue cheese and walnuts.