This velvety pumpkin and potatoes soup is perfect for some cold and gloomy days. This recipe uses the roux of flour and butter mixed with the vegetable stock to create the base for this really creamy soup. The flavor of pumpkin and potatoes blend perfectly with turmeric, which gives this soup a very intense orange color.
Velvety pumpkin and potatoes soup
- 500 g potatoes
- 400 g pumpkin skin off
- 1 medium red onion
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 240 ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Velvety pumpkin and potatoes soup
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into smaller pieces. Cover with cold water, add half a teaspoon of salt and put on the flame. Meanwhile, peel the pumpkin, cut it into small pieces and set aside. As soon as the water starts to boil add the pumpkin. Cook until all the vegetables are tender but not too soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a second pot, melt the butter. Add chopped onion and cook together over medium – low heat until the onion becomes slightly translucent (2-3 minutes).
- Add flour and mix well. Continue to cook over low heat for another 2 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Begin to add the vegetable broth, stirring well each time. I recommend using the whisk to make sure you remove all lumps. Add turmeric, a pinch of pepper and cook over medium – low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, pumpkin and tomato paste to the soup. Continue to cook for another 2 – 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer everything into the mixer bowl, add milk milk (or by using the immersion blender) and blend the soup until it becomes creamy.
Taste, season with salt and pepper if necessary and serve hot.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like creamy soups with potatoes check my Creamy leek, potatoes and rosmary soup. (foto below)