This fabulous walnut pie with golden syrup was born from the desire to taste the traditional American pecan pie. After consulting some virtual American friends, I discovered that I can recreate this delicious tart at home. I have replaced pecans with walnuts which, in addition to having a slightly soft texture similar to pecans, can be found here in Europe without major problems. They are also less expensive and flavourful. I also decided to use golden syrup instead of corn syrup. If you don’t want to prepare this delicious golden syrup at home (recipe here) you can replace it with maple syrup for an even more luscious result. The base I used is my well-known recipe for unsalted pie crust which is delicate and flaky. It goes perfectly with the rich, sweet, slightly citrusy and intense filling of this pie.
Walnut pie with golden syrup and rum
Flaky pie crust
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 85 g diced cold butter I used unsalted Lurpak butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vodka
- 2 tablespoons of very cold water
- 80 G of butter I used unsalted Lurpak butter
- 150 G of light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- orange zest from half orange
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 160 g walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of light rum
Flaky vodka pie crust
- For this recipe I used unsalted butter made by Lurpak.
- Blend together flour, butter, and salt in a bowl with a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until mixture resembles coarse meal. If you don’t have a blender with the blades you can grate the butter quickly on a grater with wide holes.
- Add a tablespoon of cold vodka and 2 – 3 tablespoons of super cold water. The vodka helps the dough become delicate and flaky. If you don’t have vodka available, omit it and add an extra spoonful of very cold water. Blend everything briefly.
- Knead the dough briefly with your hands, just to give it a compact shape. It doesn’t matter if there are visible traces of the butter in the dough. Place in the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- After this time, roll out the pastry dough up to a few millimeters in hight and place it on a round 20 cm wide tart pan.
- Add the first half of the walnuts pressing them gently over the dough and place the pan in the fridge while preparing the rest of the filling.
Instructions walnut pie with golden syrup
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add light brown sugar and stir. Turn off the heat and add vanilla extract, rum, a pinch of salt and stir again. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk, add the butter and sugar mix and stir well.
- Add golden syrup and orange zest and mix together.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared pan. Add the rest of the walnuts and bake in a preheated static oven at 180 °C for 50 minutes.
Once baked take out from the oven and let cool down completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some other delicious cakes idea check my “Tipsy elves” – white chocolate, cinnamon, hazelnuts and rum Christmas cake (foto below).