This milk and lemon pie is perfectly sweet and sour. A mix of flavors between delicate soft milk filling mixed with tangy lemon juice, vanilla, nutmeg and cane sugar. Best with the fresh seasonal fruit.
Milk and lemon pie
- 140 g soft butter
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 0.5 lemon only the zest
Creamy milk filling
- 240 ml milk
- 5 tbsp or more lemon juice
- 110 g brown sugar
- 60 g soft butter
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Instructions: Milk and lemon pie
- In a bowl sift flour, salt and icing sugar. Add soft butter and grated lemon zest and using the fork or your fingers crumble the butter until you get a sand-like mixture.
- Add the yolk. Knead briefly just to mix all the ingredients. Create a dough square, cover it with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for minimum 1 hour.
- After an hour take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin to a 3 – 5 mm thick disc. Cover the dough with a plate and remove irregular edges with a knife. Move the dough into the previously lightly grased and floured round baking tray (approximately 25 cm wide). Place the tray in the refrigerator while preparing the milk filling.
- Whisk milk with lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes or until it curls.
- In a bowl beat soft butter with brown sugar for a couple of minutes.
- Unite eggs, one at time, always beating at least 1 minute for each egg. Add the vanilla extract and mix again. Add flour and nutmeg and beat the mixture briefly.
- Then turn off the mixer and add milk/lemon mixture. You will have a fairly liquid batter. Pour the filling on the prepared base. Bake in the pre-heated static oven at 180 °C for 40 – 50 minutes.
- If the pie is getting gold too fast you can cover it with aluminum foil.
Let it cool down completely before serving. This pie is even better the day after.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love creamy lemon pies check my recipe for Lemon pastry cream pie. (foto below)