Delicious lemon and orange cream without eggs to use with cakes, pancakes, crepes, fruit pies or to be enjoyed with a spoon. Easy to prepare this cream use the coconut milk mixed with fresh citrus juice and potato starch as a thickener. It does not use animal products so this lemon cream is vegan and thanks to the starch it is also gluten free.
Lemon and orange cream without eggs
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 lemon organic (juice and zest)
- 1 orange organic (juice and zest)
- 2 tbsp potato or corn starch
- 3 tbsp or more sugar
Instructions: Lemon and orange cream without eggs
- In a saucepan pour the coconut milk. Add the grated lemon and orange zest and sugar. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Be careful to use only the surface of the fruit, the white part is bitter.
- In a small bowl or cup pour the freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice and add the potato starch. Stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Place the pot with the coconut milk over a medium – low flame, when it gets warm add the juice with starch. Stirring constantly, let the cream get thick. It will be even more dense once cooled down.
- Turn off the heat and pour the cream in glasses or set aside for later use. To avoid creating the “skin” on the surface pour it into a container and cover the cream with some plastic wrap. Once cooled remove the wrap and store the lemon cream in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days at most.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you enjoy tart flavor in your cakes and desserts check my Creamy key lime pie recipe.
Inspired by a recipe from Minimalist Baker.