The recipe for chocolate cupcakes with cocoa frosting is a true classic. They are simple, quick, sweet and delicious. These cupcakes at the same time are loved by adults and children. To prepare them at home, simply mix all the dry ingredients with the liquid ones and fill the paper liners with the prepared batter. The frosting that I paired with these cupcakes is a mascarpone and whipped cream frosting with the addition of Nesquik cocoa powder. The cream is soft and delicate which makes it great in contrast to the texture of the cupcakes. These treats are perfect for children’s parties or family celebrations.
Chocolate cupcakes with mascarpone and cocoa frosting
- 120 ml milk at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 60 ml not very cold yogurt
- 80 ml vegetable oil (I used rice oil)
- 50 ml sparkling water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g sugar
- 20-30 g dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 g cold whipping cream
- 250 g cold mascarpone
- 6-8 tbsp of Nesquik cocoa powder
Instructions chocolate cupcakes with mascarpone and cocoa frosting
- In a small cup, whisk milk with vinegar and set it aside to make it curdle for about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl, whisk oil with curdled milk, eggs, yogurt and 50 ml of sparkling water. If you like, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. You can find a super simple recipe for vanilla extract on this same blog in the toppings section that will make your muffins even more special.
- In a second bowl, sift flour, baking powder, dark cocoa powder. Add sugar and a pinch of salt, mix and set aside.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix together briefly with a whisk to obtain a rather liquid mixture.
- Place the paper liners in the muffin pan. Fill them up to 3/4 of the way with the prepared batter. Bake in a preheated static oven at 170 ° C for 20 – 25 minutes. If you have filled the cups up to three quarters 25 minutes should be enough. To be sure, use a toothpick test to check the baking point.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Instructions Nesquik and mascarpone frosting
- For this recipe, the mascarpone and whipping cream must be placed in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Pour the cream and mascarpone into a bowl. Whip with a whisk at medium-high speed until all the ingredients are well blended and the cream is rather thick. Do not whip for too long as it could create lumps.
- Change the whips of the mixer and put the spiral ones to mix or you can use the hand whisk, or a spoon.
- Sift the Nesquik cocoa powder and then add it to the cream. Incorporate slowly. Taste and adjust with more Nesquik if necessary. You can also add powdered sugar to make the cream sweeter.
- The mascarpone and cocoa cream is ready to be used but I recommend letting it rest for 30 minutes in the fridge to make it firmer. Once you decide to use it, transfer it to the piping bag or use as you like to decorate your cupcakes.
- Store the cupcakes with the cream on top in the refrigerator and eat within a day. Otherwise, if you intend to decorate them at the last moment, you can store them without the creamy part and at room temperature.
Before serving you can sprinkle them with more cocoa powder or decorate with pieces of chocolate, sprinkles or other food decorations.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love small chocolate sweets and treats, check out my recipe for Chocolate chip financier with hazelnut butter (foto below).