Absolutely delicious this mini banana cake is a real treat. The cake is soft even if quite thick. Its distinct banana flavor blends with delicate salty aftertaste that goes perfectly with the dark chocolate cream. The cream is velvety and soft. It is a modified version of the traditional chocolate ganache. Adding some gelatine and butter allows the ganache to be frozen.
As you can see, I added this recipe in between Cupcakes instead of Desserts. This is due to the simple fact that these treats can be prepared in a classic cupcake shape and decorated with chocolate cream. Just use a piping bag and not the silicon moulds that need to be frozen.
Mini banana cake with chocolate cream
Chocolate cream* (read the notes)
- 110 ml cream
- 15 g butter
- 1 g gelatin sheets
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 50 g milk chocolate
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 ml droom temperature milk
- 55 g melted butter
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g ripe banana
- dessicated coconut and grated chocolate
- For this recipe I used the Kit Eclair – silicone form from Silikomart.
Instructions for chocolate cream
- Double the cream ingredients in case you want to use a piping bag to decorate this dessert in a form of a cupcake.
- Soak the gelatine sheet in cold water for about 10 minutes.
- Bring the cream to the boiling point. Turn off the heat and add previously chopped chocolate. Leave to rest for a few minutes then mix thoroughly using the whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Add squeezed gelatine and stir again until it is completely dissolved. Finally add butter and gently incorporate it.
- Pour the ganache in the silicone mould and place in the refrigerator to make it become firm. Once the cream has thickened, place the shape in the freezer for about 6 hours until frozen solid.
- In the case that you prepare the cream for the cupcakes let it cool and place the container in the refrigerator to make it firm. As soon as the cream is ready, mix it gently and use the piping bag with your favorite tip to decorate the cupcakes. I do not recommend keeping the cream in the fridge for too long befor piping because it tends to get too hard.
Instructions for mini banana cake
- Mix the sugar with the egg using the whisk.
- Add vanilla and milk and mix well then add melted butter.
- Add sifted flour with salt and baking powder and mix thoroughly with the whisk.
- Finally add previously smashed banana into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the shapes used up to about 3/4 of height. Bake in a preheated static oven at 175 ° C for 25 to 30 minutes (about 25 minutes in the case of a cupcake). Remove from the oven and let cool down before removing from the pan. Let them cool down completely. Cut off any dimple in the middle to make them perfectly flat.
- Decorate with the prepared chocolate cream by removing it from the moulds and placing them gently over the banana cake. The cream thaws in no time and the treat is ready to be eaten.
About 6 – 8 hours waiting time. The nutritional values are generated automatically for indicative purposes only and are therefore not completely accurate.
If you like it, garnish with dried coconut and some grated chocolate and serve.
lot of love. B.
This recipe is made thanks to the collaboration with Silikomart – a company specializing in the production of silicone moulds and pastry, kitchen and ice cream utensils.