How about a recipe for a perfect soft pound cake? Well perfect because it is a recipe made by a a particular grandmother … mine <3.
It took quite a bit to reconstruct this delicious cake because my granma uses measurements like “about”, “to taste” and “as usual”. But after some digging in old notes we managed to arrive at a precise and fabulous recipe. This soft and fragrant poundcake has a distinct odour of butter and a slight aftertaste of vanilla.
My grandmother told me that she started using vanilla or lemon zest much later in her life. For almost all hel life she used simple flavors like butter, eggs and sugar but she always added a secret ingredient. This ingredient is kefir or its variation curdled milk that is easily available in Poland. The kefir makes this not too sweet plumcake tender and simply fabulous. I hope you like this recipe.
Soft pound cake with kefir
- 225 g cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 g white sugar
- 250 g soft butter I used unsulted Lurpak butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3 egg yolks at room temperature
- 135 ml kefir at room temperature
- flour and butter for the pan
- powdered sugar
Instructions soft pound cake
- For this recipe all ingredients must be at room temperature.
- I used unsalted classic Lurpak butter. 250 g to be exact … well I just can not argue with my grandmother on the amount of eggs and butter in her cake.
- Sift flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Add soft butter and using electric mixer begin to slowly mix butter with flour until you have available a mixture rich in crumbs.
- Add vanilla extract or lemon zest. Turn on the mixer on low and gradually add eggs. Continue to mix slowly until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Scrap the bowl well so you don’t have any remains of flour at the bottom and at this point add kefir. Stir until mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Transfer the dough into a slightly buttered and floured baking pan (my 30 x 11 cm).
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 175 ° C for 1 hour – 1 hour and 10 minutes. Start checking the baking point by using a tooth pick that you have to insert in the center of the cake after about 55 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven pan and let it cool down completely. Cover with powdered sugar and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you liked this recipe you should also try: Everyday strawberry cake
This recipe was created thanks to the collaboration with Lurpak. Excellent Danish butter perfect for professional pastry making and for homemade use.