Every year, on the occasion of my birthday, I prepare a cake with all my favorite ingredients and this year I decided to prepare the best, the most moist and rich carrot, pineapple and almond cake. It is a very easy and quick cake to prepare. You just need to mix the wet ingredients with the dry ones and bake. This cake which, as I said, is rich and moist thanks to the addition of pieces of pineapple and carrots. It is also enriched with almonds which add extra crunch and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom.
The frosting I used is simply divine. It is a frosting made with mascarpone cheese and banana, pineapple and coconut milk jam that adds a note of sweet, velvety and fresh flavor. If you don’t want to prepare this frosting you can use the classic cream cheese frosting.
Moist carrot and pineapple cake with mascarpone frosting
Carrot, pineapple and almond cake
- 170 g of all-purpose flour
- 110 g of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 75 ml of vegetable oil I used sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 70 g of almonds
- 180 g of carrots
- 130 g of fresh or canned pineapple
- Mascarpone cream
- 160 g of banana pineapple and coconut jam * (see instructions)
- 250 g of mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- shredded coconut
- mint leaves
Instructions moist carrot and pineapple cake with mascarpone frosting
- I used a 18 cm round pan. If you intend to make it bigger using a 20 – 22 cm cake pan, I recommend doubling the ingredients.
- For this recipe, the eggs, carrots and pineapple must be at room temperature.
- In a bowl mix oil with eggs and set aside.
- In the second bowl sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and a pinch of salt. Add sugar and mix.
- Unite the two bowls and stir. At this point add chopped almonds, grated carrot and diced pineapple and mix them until combined.
- Line the bottom of the 18 cm pan with baking paper. Grease the pan with a some butter or oil and dust with some flour. Transfer the batter to the pan and bake in the preheated static oven at 180 ° C for 40 – 45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove it from the oven, turn the pan upside down and place the cake on the cooling rack to allow it to cool down completely.
Mascarpone frosting with pineapple jam
- For the pineapple, banana and coconut jam you can use my recipe: Banana, coconut and pineapple jam.
- Whip the mascarpone for a couple of minutes, gradually add the jam and whisk until all the ingredients are well blended. Add powdered sugar and whisk again. If the frosting is too thick you can add some milk.
- As already mentioned, this carrot cake is also delicious with the classic cream cheese frosting. Just whip the cream cheese while gradually adding the powdered sugar. Adjust it with more or less powdered sugar to find the perfect balance.
To assemble the cake
- With a sharp knife, cut off the top of the cake and put it apart. Then divide the cake in half. I crumbled the cut piece to decorate the sides. Then I created small balls by mixing the crumbles with some frosting and covering them with shreded coconut.
- Decorate and fill the cake with prepared frosting.
Place the cake in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving.
lot of love. B.
P.S. If you like cardamom in cakes you should check the recipe that I prepared for my birthday two years ago: Cake with creamy coconut cardamom filling and strawberry gelee. (foto below)