Italian cinnamon Margherita cake
Soft, fragrant and sweet – the Margherita cake is a Italian classic and when spiced with cinnamon it becomes even more irresistible. Its very simple batter with few ingredients is easy to prepare and makes it a perfect cake for breakfast or an afternoon snack. You can eat it only covered with powdered sugar but it is also excellent filled with vanilla or chocolate custard cream. I find it irresistible with a cup of hot chocolate.
Italian cinnamon Margherita cake
Soft and fragrant Italian cinnamon Margherita cake recipe. Simple cake perfect for breakfast or snack.
- 90 g all-purpose flour
- 1 – 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 50 g potato or corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 medium eggs at room temperature (180 g)
- 140 g white sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 egg-yolks at room temperature
- 90 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- powdered sugar for the top
Instructions Italian cinnamon Margherita cake
- In a bowl, sift twice, flour with potato starch and cinnamon. Also melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, start beating the eggs with the sugar. After a couple of minutes add salt, increase the power of the mixer and whip at high speed for 8 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and gradually add the egg yolks, beating each time until well incorporated. Now add sifted dry ingredients and beat first at low speed and then increase the speed and mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated. The batter should be light and foamy.
- Take two tablespoons of batter and add it together with the vanilla extract to the melted butter. Stir quickly to mix well. Now pour the butter mixture into the main batter and gently, using a silicone spatula or spoon, stir in with the movements from the bottom to the top until the batter becomes smooth.
- Line the bottom of a 20 cm round baking pan with a circle of baking paper. Brush the rim of the pan with a some butter and dust it lightly with flour. Pour the mixture into the pan and then bake in the preheated static oven at 180 – 190 °C for about 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before removing from the pan and letting it cool completely. Decorate with powdered sugar or fill with cream.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
The nutritional values are generated automatically for indicative purposes only and are therefore not completely accurate.
Serving: 1round panCalories: 360kcal
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Store at a room temperature.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some other recipes for a very soft cake check my Chocolate Molly cake – whipped cream soft cake (photo below) or Coconut yogurt cake with white chocolate (photo below).