If you need a last minute Christmas treat this hot chocolate cake recipe is perfect for you. It is a quick and easy cake to prepare. It requires a few steps but guarantees a delicious result. This butter-free cake is moist, sweet and so satisfying. The addition of small amount of chilli powder and cinnamon in the batter creates an idea of hot chocolate drink. The rich and delicious glaze with milk chocolate and hazelnuts will satisfy everyone looking for a moment of sweetness.
Hot chocolate cake
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 20 g of dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 1/4 a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon
- 50 g of dark chocolate
- 100 ml vegetable oil I used corn oil
- 150 g of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 180 ml of milk
- 50 g of toasted hazelnuts
- 150 g of milk chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil optional
Instructions hot chocolate cake
- For this recipe I used silicone mould Moments made by Silikomart.
- In a bowl, sift flour with cocoa powder. Add sifted baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and chilli powder (or cayenne pepper). Mix well with a whisk.
- Melt dark chocolate over water bath and set aside. Meanwhile, in the second bowl, whip oil with white sugar with the electric mixer. Add the eggs and continue to whisk for about 5 minutes.
- Now add salt, vanilla extract, milk and previously melted chocolate and mix again.
- Slowly add the flour mix and whisk in the slowest mode you have available on your mixer or use the kitchen whisk. Add all the flour and mix until the batter is combined. Pour the mixture into the previously greased with oil and lightly floured mould. If you use the silicone mould you just have to grease it slightly.
- If you use the same mould that I did, from this dose of batter, I recommend removing about 2 – 3 tablespoons and using it to prepare a cupcake. Otherwise it may overflow slightly. I filled the mould up to three quarters and it still grew a lot.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 175 – 180 ° C for 45 – 55 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry. Once your cake is ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool down slightly. Remove from the mould and let it cool down completely.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your cake I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara.
You can serve the cake while the chocolate is still warm. That will lead, especially for the children, to lick all their fingers and chocolate mustaches. Otherwise, wait until the chocolate becomes firm and serve. This cake can be kept at room temperature.
p.s. If you are a big chocolate lovers you should also check my Amazing coffee cheesecake brownies (foto below).