This best ever carrot cake with toasted coconut is moist and dense, perfectly sweet and balanced. This soft slightly spiced cake is stuffed with a delicate cream cheese frosting. This version uses toasted shredded coconut instead of raisins and that gives it a pleasant crunchiness and delicious aftertaste. The recipe was adapted from Epicurious carrot cake with coconut.
Best ever carrot cake with toasted coconut
- 85 g shredded coconut
- 320 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 450 g carrots
- 240 ml milk room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 150 g white sugar
- 150 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml vegetable oil
Frosting and topping
- 35 g shredded coconut
- 300 g cream cheese
- 80 g soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 120 g powdered sugar
Instructions: Best ever carrot cake with toasted coconut
- Mix room temperature milk with lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes (you can also use same amount of buttermilk). While the milk curds grate the carrots on a grater with large holes. Add milk to carrots and put aside.
- Pour the coconut into a dry pan. Toast the coconut on a medium – low flame, stirring often, until it becomes golden and crunchy. Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Place sifted flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Add toasted coconut, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and whisk.
- Using electric mixer beat room temperature eggs, two types of sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until all the ingredients become light and frothy – about 4 minutes. At this point lower the speed to medium – low and slowly stream in oil and beat for another minute.
- Add dry ingredients and carrots in 4 – 5 additions beating on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Cover the bottom of 2 round baking trays (about 24 cm wide) with baking paper and lightly grease sides of the baking tray with some butter or oil. You can also use one large and one slightly smaller baking tray (I used 2 different baking trays). Divide the dough equally in height between two baking pans and cook in the static preheated oven at 180 °C for 45 to 1 hour (me about 55 minutes).
- After 45 minutes, check if the cake is ready with a toothpick. Once completely baked take pans from the oven and let them cool down for 10 minutes then take the cake out of the pan and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Cream cheese frosting
- For the cream cheese frosting both cream cheese and butter must be at room temperature. Beat these 2 ingredients with the electric mixer for a couple of minutes. Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Beat again until all the ingredients are well combined.
- With a sharp knife level out surface of the cakes. Spread with cream cheese frosting and decorate with some more toasted coconut.
Place the carrot cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another amazing cream cheese cake recipe check my Lemon and vanilla cream cheese classic bundt cake.