Hot milk sponge cake is a perfect breakfast or afternoon tea cake. It is soft and delicate. It is also really simple and quick to prepare. Just a few ingredients that we all have at home, a saucepan for the hot milk, a bowl and a mixer. A must try.
Hot milk sponge cake – easy and delicious
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 160 ml milk
- 80 g butter I used unsalted butter made by Lurpak
- 4 eggs
- 220 g sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- q.b. powdered sugar
- lemon zest or vanilla extract optional
Instructions: Hot milk sponge cake – easy and delicious
- For this recipe I used unsalted butter made by Lurpak.
- For this recipe the eggs should be at room temperature.
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Add sugar and beat the eggs until they become light in color and fluffy and they have duplicate their volume. About 10 – 15 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer. Add sifted flour and baking powder and using a spoon gently incorporate them by making the movements from the bottom to the top of the bowl.
- Heat the milk with the butter until the butter is completely dissolved. Remove the milk from the heat before the boiling point.
- Pour half of the milk into the egg/flour mixture and stir. Add the other half and mix until combined. At this point you can add some extra flavour to you cake like for example lemon zest or vanilla extract.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper. Pour in the mixture and bake in preheated static oven at 180 °C for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Check if the cake is ready by putting a toothpick at the center. If the toothpick comes out clean that means it is ready. If it is still wet and sticky you should extende the baking time.
Take out the cake from the oven. Let it cool completely and dust it with some powder sugar before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another super easy cake you should check my Soft pound cake with kefir. (foto below)