This cake uses spinach (almost imperceptible in taste) for its amazing green color, first spring strawberries and filling made with whipped cream and cream cheese. All this combined with the lemon flavor to create a fresh, sweet, delicate, and with a gorgous color – spring cake.
Spring cake – green cake with strawberries and lemon
- 300 g frozen spinach drained
- 3 room temperature eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 220 ml vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon only the zest
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
Cream cheese frosting
- 200 ml cold whipping cream
- 250 g cream cheese
- 5 tbsp or more powdered sugar
- 1 lemon only the zest
- fresch strawberries to taste
Instructions: Spring cake – green spinach cake with strawberries and frosting
- Defrost the spinach. Squeeze it between your hands to remove extra water. Blend the spinach ina a blender or using an immersion blender and set aside.
- In a bowl, pour the sugar and add the eggs. Whip up the eggs until they become light and foamy – about 10 minutes.
- Add the oil, the lemon juice, grated lemon zest and spinach. Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Add the flour together with the baking powder and incorporate it gently with a spoon without deflating the batter.
- Pour the batter into round baking pan (23 cm wide) lined with baking paper (only the bottom). Bake in the static oven at 165°C for 45 – 1 hour. After 45 minutes check the cooking with a toothpick. If the toothpick is wet continue cooking. If the toothpick is dry turn off the oven, gently open the door and let the cake cool down slightly before pulling it completely out of the oven. Take the cake from the pan and let it cool completely before filling it.
- Whip the cream. Add the cream cheese, lemon zest and powdered sugar and whip again until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and add more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Slice off the top (the hump) part of the cake and set aside. Divide the cake in half. Spread the first part of the cream in the center of the cake, add the strawberries cut into quarters. Cover with the second part of the cake, add more cream and use a grater to grate some green crumbles on top using the piece that you set aside.
Decorate with a few leaves of baby spinach, more cream and strawberries cut in half.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another amazing cake recipe check my Ginger cake with cactus fruit gelatine. (foto below)