Walnut cake with mascarpone and cinnamon frosting is a delicious cake perfect for Christmas and different occasions. The flavor of walnuts goes perfectly with mascarpone and cinnamon creamy filling. It stays fresh for quite few days, so it can be prepared a couple of days before the holidays.
Walnut cake with mascarpone and cinnamon frosting
- 50 g walnuts
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 200 g soft butter
- 180 g brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Mascarpone cheese frosting
- 200 ml cold whipping cream
- 125 g mascarpone cheese
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- some walnuts
Instructions: Walnut cake with mascarpone and cinnamon frosting
- All the ingredients except the whipping cream should be at room temperature.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 – 4 minutes with your stand mixer.
- Continue beating while adding the eggs (one at a time) then add the vanilla extract and finally add the milk.
- In a mixer, blend the walnuts until they have the consistency of flour.
- Add the walnuts to the butter mixture and stir in by hand. Gently stir in the flour and baking powder. Don’t overmix the batter. The mixture should be smooth, homogeneous and dense.
- Cover the bottom of two round baking pans (18 – 20 cm wide) with baking paper. Divide the batter between the two pans and bake in preheated oven at 165° C for 25 – 30 min.
The mascarpone cream
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a bowl pour the mascarpone, cold whipping cream and icing sugar. Whip the frosting for 4 – 5 minutes adding the cinnamon towards the end.
- Take the cake from the oven. Let it cool down and fill with mascarpone frosting then decorate with some walnuts.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some perfect decoration for this cake check my Super easy meringue decorations for cakes. (foto below)