This semisweet homemade breakfast brioche can be served in both sweet and savory version. With this recipe for leavened croissants you can create fragrant brioches with a soft texture. Using a few simple ingredients such as flour, active-dry yeast, butter and eggs and with the leavened base prepared the previous evening you can create your delicious brioche. Fill them with jam or hazelnut cream or with cheese, salad and tomato and serve with scrambled eggs. Furthermore, the beauty of that recipe is that these croissants can be frozen once cooked and then quickly thawed in the oven when needed.
Semisweet homemade breakfast brioche
- 80 g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp active-dry yeast
- 60 ml water
- 220 ml milk
- ¼-½ tsp salt
- 50 g melted butter
- 380 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- egg yolk + some milk for the glaze
- The previous evening, prepare the poolish (pre-dough). In a small bowl, dissolve half a teaspoon of active-dry yeast with 60 ml of water. Add flour and mix coarsely. Cover with a cotton cloth and leave at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
- The next morning the pre-dough should be bubbly and puffy.
Instructions for the dough dough
- In a large bowl, mix flour with sugar and salt. Add an egg yolk, milk (at room temperature), melted butter, vanilla extract and all the previously prepared poolish.
- Knead by hand or in the mixer with a hook for about 10 minutes or until your dough is smooth and very elastic. Create a ball of dough and place it in a bowl lightly greased with a some butter. Cover with a cotton cloth and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, in my case 2 hours.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 2 equal parts. With the help of your finger tips or a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a circular shape about 0,5 cm high.
- Divide each circle into many triangles of similar size to each other by cutting it similar to how you cut pizza. Roll each triangle starting from the edge of the circle and rolling towards the center.
- Place your croissants on one or two trays covered with baking paper and let rise covered with a cotton cloth for another 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Before baking brush them with the yolk mixed with some milk. Bake your croissants in a preheated static oven at 180 ° C for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
Keep at room temperature and eat within a couple of days or make them freeze for later use.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another delicious leavened recipes, check my Apple cinnamon rolls with walnuts, raisins and lemon zest (photo below) or Easy no-knead buns (photo below).