Small and delicious leavened croissants with 5 spices powder (fennel, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and star anise) and mascarpone. Fragrant and delicious, covered with a thin caramelized layer of brown cane sugar. One leads to another!
Five-spice and mascarpone croissants
- 5 g active dry yeast
- 1 generous tsp 5-spice powder I used Italian Cannamela 5-spiece
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g white sugar
- 100 g mascarpone cheese
- 140 ml milk
- whole cane sugar
Instructions: Five-spice and mascarpone soft croissants
- For this recipe I used 5 spices blend by Cannamela. This blend of Asian origin is perfect to prepare recipes with meat, fish, spicy vegetables but also to prepare cakes and desserts. The mixture consists of fennel, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and star anise.
- Place active dry yeast, 5 spice powder, flour, white sugar and mascarpone in a bowl.
- Begin to knead and gradually add slightly warmed milk. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic for minimum 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until the dough doubles the volume. It is really important that your dough doubles the volume so don’t skip this step.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
Creating croisants and baking
- After this time deflated the dough. Transfer it to a lightly floured surface and roll out into a few millimeters thick circle. Divide the circle into 12 similar slices and roll each slice onto itself starting from the widest part towards the thin tip.
- Brush each croissant with some water (a good way to do it quickly is to spray the croissants using a clean flower sprayer). Add some whole cane sugar in a bowl, add one croissant and toss it gently to cover it entirely with sugar. Proceed in this manner with the rest of the croissants. Lay them on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and let them rise in a warm place for another hour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like the idea of mascarpone cheese in the dough check my Mascarpone cheese breakfast rolls. (foto below)