This sweet bread with cardamom, cinnamon and raisins is perfect for breakfast with a little jam or butter. Not too sweet, delicately spiced with cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg gains the sweetness from raisins, barley malt syrup and honey.
Sweet bread with cardamom and barley malt syrup
- 2 tbsp barley malt syrup
- 2 tbsp or more honey
- 250 g milk
- 60 g butter
- 6 g active dry yeast
- 500 g bread flour
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp or more ground cardamom
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 100 g raisin
Instructions: Sweet bread with cardamom, cinnamon and raisins
- In a saucepan heat milk with honey, malt and butter. Stir and let the butter melt, set aside and allow to cool down.
- In a large bowl mix flour with active dry yeast and all the spices.
- Add the milk mix, stir a little bit with a spoon. Put aside for a few minutes to let the flour absorb the liquid.
- Knead for 10 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until it doubles the volume (about 2 hours).
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough. Add the raisins and knead the dough to incorporate the dry fruit. With your hands or with the help of a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle. Fold the outer edges toward the center then create a roll starting from the bottom edge. Lay it in a lightly greased and floured baking pan. Cover with a cotton cloth and let rise for 1 hour – 1 ½ hours or until it reaches the edge of the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 °C for 30 – 35 minutes.
Pick up from the oven and let cool completely on wire rack before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for a recipe for a super soft brioche check my Chalka – Polish soft vanilla brioche. (foto below)