The idea for these delicious chocolate chips rolls made in a frying pan was born when I mistakenly multiplied by two the ingredients for naan bread and I found myself with too much dough. So I decided to take advantage of the situation and try to create rolls made in the frying pan. The dough remained soft and delicious. The addition of lemon zest has given these little buns some lovely fragrance that combines well with dark chocolate.
Chocolate chips rolls – made in a frying pan
- 150 ml orange flavoured yogurt or plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 150 ml warm milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 260 g bread flour
- 240 g wholemeal flour
- 120 g dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 1 lemon only the zest
- 1 pinch of salt
Instructions: Chocolate chips rolls – made in a frying pan
- In a bowl stir together dry yeast, honey and warm milk. Set aside for 5 – 10 minutes until it creates some foam.
- In a large bowl mix together flour with salt. Add milk with yeast, oil, yogurt, egg and grated lemon zest and begin to mix.
- Knead for at least 10 minutes by hand or in the mixer withe the dough attachment until it becomes smooth and elastic. Spread a bowl with a little oil, laid the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it doubles the volume for about 1 hour.
The rising times
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough and add the dark chocolate cut into small pieces (or chocolate chips) and knead briefly.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it out with your hands or with a rolling pin to a thickness of about 2 cm. With cookie cutter or a glass with the thin edge cut out many disks you are going to put on another floured surface. Cover with a cotton cloth and let puff for another 15 minutes.
- Heat the frying pan (do not grease it). Place the discs on a pan for 30 – 60 seconds. Flip and cook for another 30 – 60 seconds. Repeat this process so that the rolls are cooked through. You have to experiment with the flame because too high heat will burn the chocolate and the buns.
- Place the rolls on the plate and continue the process until you finish all the dough. Serve warm or cold.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like chocolate chips in your brioche check my Dark cocoa brioche with white chocolate chips.