Perfect Italian chocolate sponge cake that is high, light, delicate and soft. Prepared with only 4 ingredients, no butter, no oil and no baking powder. It’s a perfect base to be filled and decorated especially if you want to create chocolate cakes. It is not dry but light and elastic so perfect for creating light cream-covered cakes, birthday cakes or drip cakes. Follow my explanation and pastry tricks to always have it high and soft.
Italian chocolate sponge cake
- 5 medium eggs at room temperature
- 160 g white sugar
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 30 g dark cocoa powder
Instructions Italian chocolate sponge cake
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and whisk them until stiff.
- Now gradually, spoon by spoon, add the sugar while continuing to beat on medium-low speed. Finally add the yolks, always one at a time, continuing to whisk.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the egg mixture. Gently fold in with a spatula, spoon or hand whisk. Do not use the mixer but slow movements from bottom to top until all the ingredients are blended.
- Line the bottom and edge of an 18 – 20 cm diameter cake pan with baking paper. To make the baking paper stick well, I recommend greasing the pan with some butter or oil. Line the edges of the pan with baking paper making it come out a little from the pan, in this way it will be able to contain the batter during baking when it grows. Pour the batter into the pan and level it gently.
- Bake in the static oven at 160 – 170ºC for about 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool before removing it from the pan. Turn upside down and remove the parchment paper and leave to cool down completely.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store at room temperature completely covered with plastic wrap.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some basic recipes to create your cakes check my Classic lemon and vanilla pastry cream – creme patissiere (photo below) or Perfect pastry for mini tarts and tartlets (photo below).