They may not be the prettiest in the realm but I assure you that this sweet and sour eggplant side dish is simply exquisite. The eggplants are roasted in the oven for 20 minutes and then quickly cooked in a pan with the sauce prepared with garlic, ginger, honey and lemon juice. The addition of the chili pepper adds a spicy note to this quick and easy vegetarian side dish. I absolutely recommend them on bruschetta or in toast with melted cheese.
Sweet and sour eggplant side dish
- 2 big eggplants
- olive oil and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 piece about 3 cm wide of fresh ginger
- ½ tsp powdered cumin (optional)
- 2 tbsp honey
- chili powder or flakes to taste
- ½ lemon (the juice)
- 3 tbsp water
- choped parsley leaves
Instructions sweet and sour eggplant side dish
- Remove the stalk and cut the aubergines into slices about 1 cm high. Place them on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and spread on both sides with some olive oil. Also add salt on both sides, then cook in a pre-heated static oven at 220 ° C for 20 minutes.
- While the eggplants are cooking in the oven, prepare the sauce. In a pan pour a tablespoon of olive oil. Turn on the heat and then add the previously peeled and finally chopped garlic and fresh ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes to make them more aromatic, then add chili pepper to taste, powdered cumin and 2 generous tablespoons of honey. Mix everything then as soon as the liquid becomes boiling, add chopped parsley and lemon juice.
- Mix well, add three tablespoons of water and add your freshly baked hot aubergines. Cook over high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring well to coat the veggies and reduce the prepared sauce. Turn off the heat and serve still hot or wait until they become completely cold.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Stere in the fridge and eat within few days.
lot of love. B.