Raw zucchini salad is a summer side dish that is not only super easy to prepare but also quick, fresh and light. You can prepare them in no time and on hot days everyone adores them. The very thin slices become soft thanks to the easy marinade but they remain crunchy and flavourful. These raw zucchini, thanks to the union between salt, sugar, olive oil and apple cider vinegar become almost pickled but you don’t need to prepare hot picled juice. The addition of grated lemon zest and chopped parsley leaves adds a fresh and fragrant aftertaste.
In our family we are great lovers of spicy food so for this reason I also added some chilli flakes. If you prefer more sour taste you can create your marinated zucchini ribbons with lemon juice instead of using apple cider vinegar. You can also vary the spices by adding garlic, freshly ground or pink pepper, basil, mint or chopped oregano.
It is a very easy, versatile, on budget recipe. Also it is easily adaptable to different occasions such as family parties, barbecues or picnics. It is a side dish (but also an appetizer) that goes perfectly with cheese platters, fish, meat and veg dishes.
Raw zucchini salad – easy marinated side dish
- 1,5 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 lemon (only the zest)
- chili flakes or chili powder (optional)
- chopped parsley
Instructions raw zucchini salad – quick veg side dish
- In a bowl stir sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) and olive oil.
- Take fresh medium sized zucchini. Wash and pat dry them then remove the tips. Now with a potato peeler, a mandolin slicer or a very sharp knife cut many very thin, light and intact slices (ribbons).
- Dip them into the prepared marinade and stir gently to cover with the liquid. Place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (I recommend 30 minutes) and let your courgette slices rest.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Preparation of marinated zucchini with lemon
- Remove the zucchini from the fridge. Place each ribbon on a serving plate leaving the extra liquid in the bowl. Now Sprinkle everything with chopped parsley, chilli powder or flakes and especially with the lemon zest from one organic lemon.
- The preparation time is very short but the marinating time is optional. Keep your marinated raw zucchini in the fridge until needed to make them stay fresh and even tastier.
The marinade left over the courgettes along with the chilli and lemon zest will continue to fill them with flavor with the passing hours. Then consume your zucchini within a day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another recipe with vegetables that is very easy and with few ingredients, then you must also try my Crispy garlic and pecorino baked eggplant (photo below) or Greek yogurt and dill cucumber salad (photo below).