Crispy garlic and pecorino baked eggplant is a quick and easy way to create a tasty and light vegetarian appetizer or side dish. I love baked aubergines made prepared like this. They are a light and flavourful side dish that also liked by those who are not crazy about eggplants (I tested them on my husband). Preparing breaded aubergines is very simple and it is made with few ingredients. Baking ensures that the vegetables become crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside. They are ideal to be consumed on many occasions and can be enriched in many ways with different spices. I decided to use for a mix of pecorino cheese, garlic powder, oregano and paprika but you can enhance them with spices of your liking.
Crispy garlic and pecorino baked eggplant
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- 60 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp or more teaspoon of salt
Instructions crispy garlic and pecorino baked eggplant
- You must first set your aubergines aside for half an hour to make it release their bitter water. Remove the stalk and cut the aubergines into slices about 1,5 cm high. Put them in a colander, sprinkle with a tablespoon of salt and leave to drain for about 30 minutes.
- After this time rinse under cold running water and dry using kitchen paper.
- In a bowl, mix 60 g of breadcrumbs with 50 g of grated pecorino cheese. Add the garlic powder, half a teaspoon of sweet paprika (also smoked one if you prefer) and half a teaspoon of oregano. Also add the salt. If you use very salty pecorino, half a teaspoon of salt should be enough otherwise add more.
- Place your eggplants on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each eggplant with extra virgin olive oil. Dip each eggplant disc in the prepared mixture and place on the baking sheet. Brush the second side and repeat the process.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Instructions oven baked crunchy eggplants – baking time
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 200 ° C for 15 minutes. After this time, flip each disc and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Your eggplant should be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. baked aubergines are a perfect side dish for different occasions and very versatile.
Once placed on the plate, I garnished them with a some chopped parsley and chilli flakes for an extra spicy flavor. Serve immediately or once they are cold.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like this side dish idea I also recommend another easy and tasty side dish with this vegetable, that is Sweet and sour eggplant and chickpeas stew (photo below).