Beside traditional chickpea hummus there are countless variations and roasted beetroot hummus is one of them. In these variations chickpeas are can be replaced with different types of legumes or the classic mixture of chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic is accompanied by different types of vegetables and spices. In this recipe baked beetroot goes perfectly with the delicate chickpea flavour and surprises everyone with its lively and cheerful colour.
Roasted chickpea beetroot hummus
- 1 can chickpeas
- tahini to taste I used 3 tsp
- 1 large garlic clove
- 0.5 lemon only the juice
- 4 small beetroots
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
Instructions: Roasted beetroot chickpea hummus
- Wash the beetroots under cold running water. You can procede in two ways, you can remove the skin first or later after the beetroots are baked. Regardless how you want to proceed cover them with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven at 200 °C until they are tender. Once cooked set asside to make them cool down.
- Drain your chickpeas and rinse them under cold water. Place all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Transfer hummus into a bowl, sprinkle with a few teaspoons of olive oil and a bit of sesame seeds for garnish. Hummus becomes tastier after a few hours when the flavors have blended. Regulate with salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another delicious recipe with beetroot try my Borscht with coconut milk and ginger. (foto below)