Today’s recipe is an idea for a hot and fun vegetarian lunch or dinner that is giant potato latkes with mushroom sauce. This dish is rustic and full of complementary flavors. Thick, golden potato latkes pair perfectly with plenty of creamy champignon mushroom sauce.
Giant potato latkes with mushroom sauce
- 900 g potato
- 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 2 medium eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 340 g champignon mushrooms (cleaned)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼-½ tsp dried thyme
- 220 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml cream
- ½-1 tbsp corn starch
Instructions potato latkes
- Wash and peel the potatoes. In a bowl, grate the potatoes with a grater with small holes. Let them rest without mixing or about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are resting, using a spoon, gently remove the water that has accumulated in the bowl. After 10 minutes, press the potatoes on the bottom of the bowl to remove more excess water or squeeze them in your hands.
- At this point add 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of flour, salt to taste (I used half a teaspoon), a generous pinch of pepper and mix. It will form a kind of thick batter.
- Heat the non-stick pan. Grease it with a some vegetable oil. Pour half of the potato batter over it, flattening and spreading to make a large pancake. Cook for about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and continue in the same way with the second piece.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Instructions mushroom sauce
- I recommend preparing the mushroom sauce before latkes so it is still hot and ready to use.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and cut them into thin slices. Take a fairly large pan. Melt the butter and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium-low heat until the onion becomes soft.
- Now move the onion to the edge of the pan. Add sliced mushrooms and raise the heat. Cook the mushrooms without moving them for a couple of minutes. When you see them turn golden on one side, add salt and pepper to taste and stir to cook further.
- Add a crushed clove of garlic and dried thyme. Mix well and turn up the heat. Cook the mushrooms until they stop releasing water and get golden brown.
- Take 50 ml of broth and mix it with the starch. The amount of starch used depends on how thick you prefer your sauce. Set aside for later.
- Add almost all the remaining broth to the mushrooms and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for a couple of minutes. Now add the cream, mix and cook again to thicken everything.
- Lower the heat and add the broth mixed with the starch. Stir carefully to thicken the sauce. If necessary, add more broth set aside. Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper if necessary. Cover with the lid while you prepare the latkes.
Composition of the dish
- Place your latkes on two different plates. Divide the prepared sauce between the two plates and fold each potato pancake in half. If you like, you can garnish everything with a spoonful of creme fraiche or plain yogurt. Serve immediately.
Eat within a day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some other delicious recipes for vegetarian lunch or dinner, check out my recipes for Creamy lentil and potato stew (photo below) or Spelt risotto with radicchio and taleggio cheese (photo below).