Today’s recipe is radicchio and taleggio spelt risotto with intense but velvety flavor. The spelt makes this recipe healthy and delicious. The mix of radicchio and taleggio gives a deep and slightly spicy flavor. A must try.
Spelt risotto with radicchio and taleggio cheese
- 160 g spelt
- 0.5 red onion
- 0.5 cup white wine
- 15 g butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 600 ml about vegetable broth
- 1 small radicchio red chicory
- 100 g taleggio cheese or strong brie cheese
- salt to taste
Instructions: Spelt risotto with radicchio and taleggio cheese
- For this recipe I used spelt from Cerreto. After cooking the spellt remained intact and rich in flavor.
- Rinse the spelt under cold running water and set aside.
- Slice the red onion. Discard the core from the radicchio and cut it into juliene then set aside about a quarter. Melt 15 g of butter toghether with the oil in a pan. Add onion and raricchio and cook on medium – low heat until the vegetable are tender and the onion becomes slightly translucent (about 5 min).
- At this point add a pinch of salt and spelt. Cook over a high flame for a couple of minutes, then add white wine and cook stirring often for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gradually begin to add previously heated vegetable broth by adding about a ladle each time. Procede this way until the spelt becomes fully cooked (my took about 20 minutes) by adding more or less broth if necessary.
- Toward the end of the cooking add the rest of the radicchio and cook for another 30 seconds. Combine the butter, mix and cook another 30 seconds.
- At this point turn off the flame and add taleggio cheese (previously cut into squeres). Cover the pan with the lid and let it rest for 2 minutes then stir well to make the cheese melt and make the spelt risotto rich and creamy.
Taste, adjust with salt if necessary and serve.
Lot of love. B
p.s. If you love recipes with different types of grains check my Buddha Bowl with pearl barley and grilled asparagus. (foto below)