Today’s recipe is a healthy and tasty vegetable dish – baked ratatouille with bell pepper sauce. These summer vegetables are baked on a bed of tomato and bell pepper sauce and can be used as a side dish or a vegetarian main course served with a garlic and olive oil bruschetta.
Baked Ratatouille with bell pepper cream
- 3 tbsp olive oil + more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 can whole canned tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 0.5 tsp of oregano + a pinch for the top
- 1 medium potato
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 to mato
Instructions: Baked Ratatouille with bell pepper cream
- In a skillet heat the oil. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and cook over medium – low heat for 2 – 3 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add chopped bell pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool slightly. Pour the sauce into the blender jug or using the immersion blender blend everything until smooth. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cut the potatoes, zucchini and tomato into slices (the potato should be very thin). Pour the sauce into a round glass baking dish then arrange slices of prepared vegetables concentrically from the outer edge to the inside alternating with each other. Brush with more oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of oregano.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes. After this time, remove the aluminum and bake another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are crispy.
Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and serve warm.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another hot recipe with bell peppers you should check my Italian peperonata – peppers cooked with tomatoes and sliced onions.