If you are looking for an idea for lunch or for a quick and easy dinner this zucchini and corn slice is the solution. Few easy steps and so much flavor. This savory cake is slightly sweet thanks to the addition of corn and bell peppers. It is enriched with cumin seeds which give it a particular and not monotonous, soft and rich flavor. Perfect to be prepared the previous evening and to be enjoyed as a special quick bread or a second course accompanied by a fresh tomato salad. One piece leads to another.
Zucchini and corn slice
- 500 g of zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 280 g canned corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 4 eggs
- 120 ml milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 g grated Parmesan cheese + more for the topping
Instructions zucchini and corn slice
- Grate zucchini on a grater with large holes. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, stir and set aside for 10 minutes. After this time, squeeze in between your hands to remove excess liquid. Add the previously drained corn and set aside.
- While waiting for the zucchini, heat olive oil in the pan. Add cumin seeds and cook for a minute until they become aromatic. Add chopped onion and stew over low heat for 2 minutes. Then add chopped garlic and continue to cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent.
- While the onions become soft prepare the bell pepper. Cut off the lower and upper part of the pepper. Open it to create a long strip and then divide into large slices. Using a potato peeler or a very sharp knife, remove the skin. This step optional but ensures better digestion of the pepper.
- Cut the bell pepper into julienne strips and then into very small cubes. Add it in the pan with the onion and raise the heat. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Mix bell peppers with zucchini and corn.
- Whisk eggs, milk, ground pepper and chopped parsley leaves and then add it to the vegetable mix and stir.
- At this point add grated cheese and sifted flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour the mixture into a 25 x 25 cm square pan that has been previously lightly buttered and floured.
- Bake your zucchini and corn slice in a static oven preheated to 180 °C for about 40 minutes. After 30 minutes open the oven and sprinkle the surface with more grated cheese and then continue baking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down slightly before serving or wait and serve cold.
Once completely cold, store at room temperature covered with a cotton cloth or in a closed container.
lot of love. B.
If you like this recipe maybe you will be interested in my SAVORY CAKES section? ^_^