This soft crustless zucchini pie as the title suggests is a simple recipe perfect for all seasons. Zucchini is an ingredient that many of us love and that we can now buy in every month. I take advantage of the summer time, when zucchini are the seasonal vegetable, and make it many different times. With a few ingredients and super simple preparation you can enjoy this savory pie. It is flavourful both hot and cold and above all you don’t need any puff pastry.
This pie has soft texture, similar to the frittata and is enriched with grated cheese, onion, garlic and nutmeg. You can enjoy it with a tomato salad or a piece of fresh and fragrant bread. You can also use it as a snack or an appetizer for family parties, barbecues and picnics. Try this dish with bell pepper peperonata or sautéed mushrooms.
Soft crustless zucchini pie
- 600 g zucchini
- 1 onion
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 4 generous teaspoons of breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 100 g of grated cheese (I used of Grana Padano and Parmesan cheese)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
Instructions soft crustless zucchini pie
- For this recipe I used yellow zucchini but dark, light green or round ones are also fine.
- Wash your veggies under cold water and cut off the tips. Then peel the onion and garlic. Eliminate the green heart if necessary.
- Grate the zucchini and onion on a grater with large holes. Also grate the garlic on the small holes or mash it with a special tool. Add a teaspoon of salt to the mixture and mix. Place everything on a large colander and let it drain for 10 minutes.
- Now squeeze gently between your hands to remove excess water and place in a large bowl.
- Add 4 generous tablespoons of breadcrumbs, 3 eggs and a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Stir then add the grated cheese. Depending on the type of cheese you are using, add more salt if necessary. I used a mix of Parmesan and Grana Padano. Also add just enough black pepper and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg then stir.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Savory soft zucchini pie without puff pastry – baking time
- Line a 20 x 25 cm rectangular pan (or similar) with parchment paper. Pour in the zucchini batter and flatten with a spoon. If you like the crispier crust you can add more breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake in the preheated static oven at 190 ° C for 30 minutes. Bake until your savory cake turns golden on the surface.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into slices.
Store in the refrigerator. Once it becomes cold you can quickly reheat it in the oven or even in a pan. Eat within 2 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. Instead, if you are looking for a recipe for savory pie with puff pastry then try this delicious Puff pastry zucchini lattice tart with a filling rich in nuts and ricotta cheese (photo below).