The puff pastry three cheese and spinach braid is a quick and easy savory puff pastry recipe. The mix of ricotta, generous pecorino and scamorza cheese together with spinach create a rich and inviting filling. Spinach makes this savory pie with a delicate and plain yummy flavor. You can serve it as a single dish accompanied by tomato salad or sliced as a appetizer. It is perfect both hot and cold. The preparation is simple and it can be a good idea for a quick lunch, a picnic, or a snack with friends. With this recipe you can prepare two savory braids using both round and rectangular puff pastry.
Puff pastry three cheese and spinach braid
- 2 rolls of puff pastry round or rectangular
- 500 g fresh spinach
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- chilli pepper optional
- salt to taste
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 100 g pecorino cheese
- 70 g scamorza cheese
Instructions puff pastry three cheese and spinach braid
- To prepare the puff pastry with ricotta and spinach you have to start with the filling. Rinse and pat dry your spinach. In a large pan, cook it for about ten minutes, over medium-low heat, with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a clove of garlic, chili pepper to taste and salt.
- Once cooked, remove the garlic, taste and adjust with more salt or spice if necessary. Remember that pecorino is quite rich so don’t overdo the spinach with salt.
- Squeeze the spinach well to remove excess water and chop. In a bowl, combine your spinach, 250 g of ricotta, 1 egg and 100 g of grated pecorino cheese. Mix well to blend all the ingredients.
- You can prep the filling a day ahead and use it straight from the fridge.
- Take your puff pastry 5 minutes before using the filling and unroll it. Divide the filling in half and spread the first disc of pastry with the prepared ricotta and spinach cream. Also add half of your scamorza. Just choped it coarsely.
- Roll the pastry on itself creating a large log full of filling. Seal the tips and gently move it onto the baking sheet covered with baking paper. Now make a cut along the entire roll almost to the end.
- Intertwine the two halves together and seal the two ends. Continue in the same way with the second roll. Arrange the two braids next to each other with little space between them.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Puff pastry spinach and cheese braids – baking time
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 180 ° C for about 40 minutes. Once 40 minutes have passed, turn off the oven and leave the braids in the turned off and closed oven for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Serve with a fresh side dish or as an appetizer.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another quick and easy savory tart with vegetables you should definitely try my Puff pastry zucchini lattice tart (photo below).