Today’s recipe is a special summer pie that is Zymaropita – original Greek zucchini savory pie.
The life of a food bloggers, like all the jobs, has many pros and cons but one of the most positive things is being able to know bloggers and foodies from all over the world. As soon as I saw the original greek recipe for Zymaropita made a Greek/Italian blogger Apriti Sesamo I know I have to make it.
This traditional savory pie with zucchini and feta is truly yummy and I have not changed the original recipe (maybe next time I’ll put a tablespoon less oil). Delicious still hot, slightly crunchy on top and with a strong taste of Greek cheese and delicate onion aftertaste. In the original it is called Bagina and I suggest you go to read the original recipe where in a very funny way tha author explains why using the Bagina name together with big, long zucchini saunds too dirty for her. 😀
Zymaropita – original Greek zucchini savory pie
- 500 g zucchini original recipe recommended large ripe zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 180 ml milk
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 300 g feta cheese
- 80 ml olive oil + more for the baking tray
- some butter curls
Instructions: Zymaropita – original Greek zucchini and feta savory pie
- Grate zucchini (the original recipe recommends to use big, ripe zucchini instead of young and small) and the onion on a grater with large holes. Sprinkle with salt, stir and set aside for 20 minutes to let the zucchini release its juice.
- In the second bowl whisk eggs with milk and oil. Add flour and stir.
- Rinse your feta under cold running watera and crumble it. Squeeze zucchini in between your palms (discard the water) and add it together with feta into the batter and stir.
- Cover baking pan (my 20 x 35 cm) with a some olive oil and pour over prepared mixture. Add some butter curls and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C for about 40 to 50 minutes. The zymaropita should be about 1 – 2 cm high. It should become golden on the bottom and on the top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. if you are looking for another delicious and easy summer pie recipe check my Savory pie with puff pastry, creamy filling with zucchini and San Marzano tomatoes. (foto below)