Amazing and creamy red lentil curry with turmeric and coconut milk. Dense and full of bold flavours. Enriched with spices such as fresh ginger, cumin and cardamom that blend perfectly with the delicate taste of red lentils.
Creamy red lentil coconut curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 piece about 3 cm fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 cardamom pods
- 0.25 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion
- 1.5 tablespoon turmeric
- hot chilli powder to taste
- 250 g red lentils
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 200 ml coconut milk
- salt to taste
- parsley and chilli flakes for garnish optional
Instructions: Creamy red lentil curry
- For this recipe I used red lentils made by Bettini.
- Open the cardamom pods and extract the black seeds, set aside. Heat oil in a pan then add finely chopped garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add cumin and cardamom seeds and cook for another minute.
- Unite sliced onion and cook for about a minute, then add previously rinsed red lentils, turmeric and chili powder.
- Add vegetable stock and cook over a gentle flame, stirring frequently until the lentils are tender (about 20 minutes).
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add coconut milk. Stir, taste, adjust with salt if necessary and cook until red lentils are soft. Serve with rice, Indian naan bread or like me with creamy polenta. Garnish with chopped parsley and chilli flakes and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love lentil curry you should definitely try my Curry with dark lentils and coconut milk.