This Indian style curry uses spices like turmeric and ginger, to name a few, to create perfect combination with lentils and coconut milk. This full of bold flavours vegan dish is perfect served with rice or Indian bread. A delicious recipe for naan can be found here.
Curry with lentils and coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 piece 5 cm fresh ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 100 g decorative red lentils
- 110 g brown lentils
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tsp or more salt
- 4 cup water
- 0.5 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 200 ml coconut milk
- parsley to taste
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
Instructions: Curry with lentils and coconut milk
- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, coriander and cumin seeds. Cook for about 1 minute, being careful not to burn the spices.
- Add 2 types of lentils, turmeric and the tomatoes with the juices then stir.
- Add 4 cups of water, salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 40 minutes at medium-high heat, or until the lentils are tender. If necessary add more water.
- Turn off the heat. Add the coconut milk and stir.
Taste and adjust with salt if necessary. Add a handful of fresh tomatoes, previously cut in half, and a handful of chopped parsley and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love Indian style dishes with bold flavors you should also check my Chana masala. (foto below)