The chana masala is an vegetarian chickpea stew of Indian origin. It is super healthy and flavourful. In this recipe the chickpeas and the tomato sauce are cooked together with a mixture of spices, fresh ginger and onion. This spicy stew goes perfectly with some white rice or naan bread. You can find a great recipe for homemade naan bread right here on this website.
Chana masala – chickpea vegetarian stew
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 1 piece of fresh ginger about 5 cm
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of fresh chili pepper
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 cup water
Instructions: Chana masala – chickpea vegetarian stew
- In a large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they are fragrant for about 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and chopped chili pepper, chopped ginger and garlic and cook over medium heat stirring frequently until the onions have softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala, turmeric and salt. Stir and cook for 1 minute over medium heat then add the water and stir well scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and previously drained and rinsed chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat. Cover with lid and cook over medium flame for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- If the stew is too watery remove the lid and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes more thick.
lot of love. B.