Dense, rich, creamy homemade barbecue sauce. Its intense flavor is due to the addition of smoked paprika, red wine, honey and canned diced tomatoes.
Homemade red wine barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small celery stalk
- 1 garlic clove
- 0.5 apple
- 230 g canned diced tomatoes I used tomatoes made by Pomi
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 120 ml red wine
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper or chili pepper
- salt to taste
Instructions: Homemade red wine barbecue sauce
- For this recipe I used canned diced tomatoes made by Pomi. Fragrant, intense and tasty.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Add diced celery root and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add peeled and diced apple, stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in canned diced tomatoes, honey, apple vinegar, red wine, smoked paprika, mustard, cayenne pepper (or chili pepper), a pinch of salt and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, lower the flame and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the apples become soft. Turn off the heat and blend everything with the immersion blender or in a stand mixer. If you like the sauce very fine just pass it through a sieve. Add 1/4 cup of water (or less) and cook again until the sauce reaches the desired consistency (I cooked it for 10 minutes).
- Let it cool completely before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love easy homemade sauces you should also try my Cherry tomato ketchup.
This recipe comes from the collaboration with Pomì – a company specialized in the production of tomato passata, paste, sauce and special products based on high quality tomato.