You can use this classic bechamel sauce as the base for many different recipes (cannelloni, lasagna, moussaka and more). The recipe can be easily done at home and it is not difficult at all. Here you can find an explanation on how to prepare about half liter of homemade bechamel sauce.
Classic bechamel sauce
- 50 g butter
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 l warm milk
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
Instruction classic bechamel sauce
- Warm up the milk in a separate saucepan or in the microwave and set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat. Remove from the heat and slowly add flour and stir it quickly with a whisk or a wooden spoon.
- Cook and stir flour-butter mixture over low – medium heat for about 3 minutes. This mixture is called roux and you should be careful not to burn it. It should get a beautiful golden color.
- At this point gradually add previously heated milk. Stir vigorously to avoid the lumps.
- After pouring in all the milk continue stirring occasionally. Add nutmeg and salt and cook over low heat for 4 – 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and starts to boil.
- If you want the bechamel to be more liquid you should add more milk and add less milk if you need it more dense. To avoid creating the “skin” on the surface pour it into a container and cover the sauce with a plastic wrap. Once cooled remove the wrap and store your bechamel sauce in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some delicious recipe to use this bechamel sauce you should check my Easy and quick vegetarian lasagna.