The salt and sugar cured egg yolks is a surprising condiment that will truly amaze you. These yolks are perfect to be grated over pasta or over grilled asparagus or over a toast with avocado. This recipe may seem a little strange to you but you have to trust me. I assure you that this seasoning adds a very interesting savory note to many dishes. I recommend grating them over the pasta with garlic, oil and chilli pepper. As soon as the cured egg yolks touch the hot pasta they begin to melt and create a fabulous savory cream.
Cured egg yolks – how to make grated egg yolks
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 cups of salt
- 9 eggs
- various spices of personal choice I used pepper, rosemary, dry basil
Instructions salt cured egg yolks
- The procedure to create these cured yolks is very simple. Mix two cups of salt with a cup of caster sugar. At this moment you can add a few tablespoons of your favorite spices. The flavor will change very little compared to the simple mix of salt and sugar and will add a remote spice note.
- Divide prepared mix into two. Pour the first part over a plastic or glass container/dish and spread the salt evenly covering the bottom. Use the tip of the egg to create not very deep hollows and place an yolk in each of them. Discard the egg white or keep it to create a white protein omelette or a delicious dessert like Pavlova cake with lemon cream and fresh fruit.
- Cover the egg yolks with the remaining salt. Cover the container with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 and maximum 10 days.
- In case you would like to use the yolks immediately after the 5 days you need to take them out from the salt, rinse them under cold water, dry with paper towel and finish their essication in the oven. Dry the yolks in the pre-heated static oven at 50 ° C for 1 – 2 hours (depending on the size of the yolk). Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- In case you have left egg yolks in your fridge for 10 days they should not need further drying. Just rinse and dry them then store in closed container in the refrigerator. Use as needed.
lot of love. B.
P.S. These yolks are a fabulous idea for creating a homemade Christmas gift. A fantastic do-it-yourself gourmet idea to give to family or friends. All it takes is a small jar, some ribbon or Christmas decoration and budget friendly but much appreciated gift is ready.