You can prepare these quick pickled red onions with only 5 ingredients and in 5 minutes of your time. Use them to together with salads, veggie or traditional burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, bagels and more. The onion strips are crunchy, bold in flavor and almost spicy. After at least 30 minutes of waiting you can enjoy this condiment that does not require any hermetic closure.
Quick pickled red onions
- 1 big red onion
- 177 ml apple cider vinegar
- 60 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp sugar or honey or agave syrup
Instructions quick pickled red onions
- In a small saucepan mix apple cider vinegar, water, salt and sweetener to taste. Turn on the heat and cook over medium heat until the liquid comes to a boil.
- Slice the onions into half moons quite thinly. Put them in a glass jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions, if necessary gently push them down to fully submerge. Screw on the lid and leave to marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Once completely cold, serve them according to your preferences.
- You can enrich the flavor of the onions by adding different types of spices such as bay leaf, juniper, cinnamon, chilli pepper, garlic, etc.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the refrigerator in a closed container for up to 2 weeks.
lot of love. B.