This Italian red onion marmalade is easy to prepare and absolutelly amazing. It has a particular sweet and sour taste thanks to the caramelization of the onions together with apple cider vinegar. Cinnamon, cloves and white wine gives it some depth and make it super fragrant. It goes perfectly with fish carpaccio, cheese or bruschetta. It is an easy to prepare preserve that can become a lovely idea for homemade Christmas gift.
Perfect red onion marmalade
- 2 large red onions I used red onions from Tropea
- 150 g sugar
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 anise star
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
Instructions Italian red onion marmalade
- Peel the onions and cut them into thin slices. Place the onions in a bowl and add all the spices, sugar and a pinch of salt. Let them rest for about an hour.
- Put the onions and spices into a saucepan. Add white wine and apple cider vinegar. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the liquid has become more thick (like syrup) turn off the heat, remove the spices and let it cool down completely. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love recipes with red onions maybe you will be interested in trying my Baked red onions with Gaeta olives