Creamy red lentil and potato soup is a warm and flavourful meal. It’s a quick and easy soup that will warm body and soul in the cold autumn or winter months. Furthermore, this cream of legumes and vegetables is healthy and light. It is also very fragrant thanks to the spices such as sweet paprika, cumin and a some rosemary. These spices go perfectly with lentils and give them an irresistible scent. Serve it with a spoonful of plain yogurt or sour cream and some cracker crumbs or croutons.
Creamy red lentil and potato soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 big red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium carrot
- 200 g potatoes
- 200 g red lentils
- ½-1 tsp ground cumin
- ½-1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- salt to taste
- plain yogurt or sour cream for decoration (optional)
- chopped parsley and crumbled crackers for decoration (optional)
Instructions creamy red lentil and potato soup
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes to make it soft and slightly translucent. Add sliced garlic, carrot and the diced potatoes. Cook for another 2 – 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add cumin, paprika, rosemary, a good pinch of salt and cook for another 2 minutes stirring often. Now add previously rinsed under running water red lentils.
- Add vegetable broth, water and tomato paste. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and very soft and the lentils are starting to fall apart. If the lentils absorb too much liquid you can add more water.
- Taste and add more salt and spices if necessary, then blend everything with the immersion blender or in the vertical blender. Serve hot garnished with a teaspoon of natural yogurt, parsley and crumbled crackers or croutons.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the fridge and eat within 3 days.
lot of love. B.