The simplest, the yummiest spiced mixed beans soup. Intense, slightly smoky, spicy, sour at the right point thanks to the addition of tomatoes*, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for cold days.
Spiced mixed beans soup
- 1 small celery stalk
- 2 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can red beans
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes I used Pomi tomatoes
- 0.5 lemon only the zest
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 fresh chilli pepper or to taste
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp oregano
- 0.5 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- spring onions optional
Instructions: Spiced mixed beans soup
- For this recipe I used canned diced tomatoes made by Pomi. Fragrant and intense. They are perfect for this recipe.
- This step is optional but will give the soup an addition of smoked flavor. Peel the onions, put them on a fork and toast over the flame of the stove. The onion should not be burned but lightly toasted.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and celery stalk and cook over a low heat for 2 – 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes slightly transparent. Then add garlic (cut into strips) and chilli pepper (cut in half) and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Now add two types of paprika, cumin, thyme, oregano and a pinch of salt. At this point add two types of beans (previously drained and rinsed). Stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook over medium heat for another 20 minutes.
- After this time, turn off the heat, add balsamic vinegar and lemon zest (I used half of a lemon). Taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Take a cup of soup and blend it with the immersion blender.
- Return the mixture into the soup, stir and serve immediately.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for a veggie recipe that is light and less dense check my Light asparagus soup.