During the season for fresh green asparagus this soup is a must in my home because it is prepared quickly with few easy steps and ingredients and it is very light. The crispy prosciutto is a salty addition, perfect with this kind of delicate soup.
Asparagus soup with crispy prosciutto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 spring onions
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 very large potato or 2 medium
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- salt to taste
- few slices of italian prosciutto
Instructions: Light asparagus soup with crispy prosciutto
- To create the crispy prosciutto lay some strips of this Italian ham on a baking pan. Turn on the grill in your oven and place the pan directly under the broiler for a few minutes or until the fat melts and the prosciutto is crispy and toasted. Take the pan out carefully and set aside until the ham cools down.
- In a saucepan melt butter and oil. Add sliced garlic clove and 2 spring onions (only the white and light green parts). Cook on medium heat for a few minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the peeled potatoes cut coarsely into wedges and cook all on high heat, stirring often, for few more minutes.
- Now add the broth and asparagus previously cleaned (rinse and eliminate hard stems) and cut into smaller pieces. Add ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne pepper or a dash of chilli powder. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the potatoes are tender, for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Blend it all with the immersion blender or regular blender, taste and add salt if necessary. Serve hot with crispy prosciutto and a drizzle of olive oil.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like easy an light soups check my Light zucchini and rosemary soup.