Pasta with beans and mussels is a pure taste of sea and land. It is a classic recipe of Italian cuisine. This simple and tasty dish has been prepared by my sister in law during summer holidays. Not quite a light meal to be enjoyed in hot hours of August in Italy, but when you are in good company, and your meal smells like the sea there is no way you can resist this Neapolitan delicacy.
Pasta with beans and mussels
- 2 kg mussels
- 300 g dry beans
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 small fresh red hot chili pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- sweet paprika to taste
- 800 g small size pasta I used tubini pasta
- fresh basil or parsley to garnish
Instructions pasta with beans and mussels
- Cook the beans (which you have soaked before for about 12 hours) in a pot with water until there are soft ( about 1 hour). Take 1/3 of beans and blend them with the immersion blender until they are creamy. Set aside.
- Clean the mussels by removing the beard and fouling, discard mussels with broken shell and rinse well in cold water. Put the mussels in a large pan, cover with the lid and turn on the heat. Cook over medium heat for about 2 – 3 minutes until the mussels are opened. Turn off the heat. Filter the water from the mussels and set it aside (just put the water in the glass and do not use the part with the sand that settles on the bottom). Shell the mussels but keep someone to decorate the dishes.
- In a large pan heat the oil and saute a minced garlic clove and red onion.
- Add the tomato sauce, minced red hot chili pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the beans and the filtered water from the mussels. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Add the paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the mussels and the cream of beans, stir and cook for another couple of minutes. Taste and season with spices if necessary.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions of the manufacturer. Drain. Stir in the pasta with beans and mussels and toss over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped parsley or a few leaves of fresh basil and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another amazing and easy recipe for pasta check my Spicy broccoli and green olives pasta salad (foto below).