Creamy hot chocolate with real dark chocolate is just a wonderful beverage. Sweet, warm, velvety. It is perfect for cold or dark days. It’s even better when it’s homemade. The recipe is slightly more complex than pouring pouch of premade chocolate powder into hot milk but I assure you that it is absolutely worth it. This hot chocolate is rich and smooth. Creamy but not too thick, sweet but also quite fondant. You can prepare it either with cow’s milk or with your favorite vegetable alternative. You can also enrich your hot chocolate with cinnamon, a pinch of hot pepper, orange zest or something else to your liking. I added a teaspoon of tahini for a fabulous sesame aftertaste.
Hot chocolate recipe with real dark chocolate
- 240 ml cow's milk or vegetable milk
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (or more) white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g dark chocolate (me 52%)
- 2 tsp potato starch
- 2 tsp cold water or milk
- tahini, cinnamon, chilli pepper, mint, citrus zest (optional)
Instructions hot chocolate recipe with real dark chocolate
- Pour 240 ml of milk into a small saucepan. Add a tablespoon of dark cocoa powder, sugar to taste and a pinch of salt. The amount of sugar used is up to you. I used two teaspoons. Stir well to mix everything and turn on the heat. At this time you can also add spices (tahini, cinnamon, etc.)
- Once the milk comes to a boil, turn off the flame and add 50 g of chopped dark chocolate. Let it rest for a minute and stir well to completely dissolve it.
- In a small cup, mix two teaspoons of potato or corn starch with two teaspoons of milk or cold water.
- Turn the flame back on and as soon as the chocolate becomes hot again, add the milk and starch. Keep stirring until your hot chocolate reaches a creamy consistency. Turn off the flame and serve.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the fridge and eat within short period of time.
lot of love. B.