Thick crust and soft pizza
This is a simple recipe for a super soft, thick crust, oven baked pizza. It can be topped with anything you like. In this version I have chosen some tomato sauce mixed with oregano and olive oil, then some fresh cherry tomatoes, black olives and mozzarella for the garnish.
Soft thick crust oven baked pizza.
- 1 tsp active dry yeast* (see the notes to halve the yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 170 ml warm water
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil (to grease the baking tray)
- 180 ml tomato sauce
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 125 g mozzarella cheese (I used classic Italian cheese but you can use any type of cheese)
- 4 (or more) cherry tomatoes
- some black olives
- Instructions below. If you have any questions about this recipe contact me in the comments below or on my social channels. If you have tried this recipe and would like to evaluate it, press the stars above or let me know me why you didn’t like it in the comments.
2 hours waiting time.
* To keep your bread, rolls, pizzas, focaccia and other yeast dough recipes soft and fragrant for longer, you need to cut the amount of active dry yeast in half and extend the rising time
Instructions: Thick crust soft pizza
Stir together yeast, sugar and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
Mix together flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Add water/yeast mixture and begin to knead.
Knead the dough 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until it doubles the volume (about 1 hour – 1 hour and a half).
The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
While the dough is raising prepare your sauce by mixing the tomato sauce with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes then set aside.
Lightly grease a baking tray (my 18 x 24 cm). Do not deflate the dough, instead put it gently into the baking tray and spread it with your hands. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until puffed, about 30 minutes.
Preheat static oven to 250° C. Spred the sauce gently on the dough and bake it 8 minutes. After this time add mozzarella and bake for another 4 minutes. Add your cheese earlier if you wish to have it more melted.
Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes then garnish with olives and sliced fresh cherry tomatoes and serve hot.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some more delicious recipes check my Soft and fragrant calzone with cheese and Pizza dough with durum wheat flour.