This is a simple recipe for a super soft, thick crust, oven baked pizza. It can be topped with anything you like. In this version I have chosen some tomato sauce mixed with oregano and olive oil, then some fresh cherry tomatoes, black olives and mozzarella for the garnish.
Thick crust oven baked pizza
Ingredients for the dough
- 1 tsp active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 170 ml warm water
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil to grease the baking tray
- 180 ml tomato sauce
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 125 g mozzarella cheese I used classic Italian cheese but you can use any type of cheese
- 4 or more cherry tomatoes
- some black olives
Instructions: Thick crust soft pizza
- Stir together yeast, sugar and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Mix together flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Add water/yeast mixture and begin to knead.
- Knead the dough 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until it doubles the volume (about 1 hour – 1 hour and a half).
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- While the dough is raising prepare your sauce by mixing the tomato sauce with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes then set aside.
- Lightly grease a baking tray (my 18 x 24 cm). Do not deflate the dough, instead put it gently into the baking tray and spread it with your hands. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat static oven to 250° C. Spred the sauce gently on the dough and bake it 8 minutes. After this time add mozzarella and bake for another 4 minutes. Add your cheese earlier if you wish to have it more melted.
- Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes then garnish with olives and sliced fresh cherry tomatoes and serve hot.
lot of love. B.