This no-knead focaccia is a simple, soft Italian bread that becomes very aromatic thanks to the addition of fresh herbs and squash or zucchini blossoms. A must try!
No-knead focaccia with fresh herbs and squash blossoms
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g whole wheat flour
- 4 g active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 400 ml or more warm water
- fresh herbs basil, dill, thyme to taste
- zucchini or squash blossoms
- olive oil
Instructions: No-knead focaccia with fresh herbs and squash blossoms
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt, sugar and active dry yeast. Add lukewarm water and mix with a spoon for a couple of minutes until there are no visible lumps of flour. The dough should be quite soft but not runny. Adjust with flour and water if necessary.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours. During these 2 hours you can make stretch and fold folds every 30 minutes, to improve the texture of the dough, but it is not necessary. To make s&f folds dip your hand in the water, take a flap of the dough near the edge of the bowl, stretch it slightly up and then bend it over the dough. Repeat this process until you have created 4 – 5 folds. The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- After 2 hours place the dough over a baking tray covered with baking paper. Wet your hands and stretch the dough using your fingertips until you get the shape of your desire. Add some olive oil on top, fresh aromatic herbs and squash or zucchini flowers. Let it rise for another hour.
- Preheat your static oven to 250 °C. Bake focaccia for 5 minutes and then lower the temperature to 220 °C and bake it for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Take out from the oven, let it cool down and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love aesy and flavourful no-knead focaccia check my No-knead pumpkin focaccia bread. (foto below)