Today’s recipe is a soft green focaccia with the addition of spinach. This simple focaccia bread with tomatoes and cheese is tasty and fragrant. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
Green focaccia with cherry tomatoes and cheese
- 250 g fresh spinach
- 150 ml spinach cooking water warm
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 500 g bread flour
- 1 tsp or more salt
- 60 ml olive oil
- 4 or more cherry tomatoes
- 60 g hard cheese I used scamorza
Instructions: Green focaccia with cherry tomatoes and cheese
- Blanch your spinach for 2 minutes in boiling water (do not put salt in the water). Drain and blend with the oil and 1 teaspoon of salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix 150 ml of spinach cooking water (warm not hot) with the active dry yeast and honey. Put aside for 5 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
- In a large bowl mix flour with the yeast. Add spinach and stir again.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Grease a bowl with some olive oil, put the dough in it, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it doubles the volume for 1 hour.The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, trasfer the dough and spread it out with your fingertips. Cut the tomatoes in half. With the tip of the knife or the little spoon take out the seeds from the tomatoes. Press them gently into the dough together with the cheese (previously cut into cubes). Cover the focaccia with a cotton cloth and set aside to let it raise again for about 30 minutes.
- Spread the dough lightly with some olive oil and bake in a preheated static oven at 220 °C for about 20 minutes or until the focaccia becomes golden brown.
Transferred on a rack and let it cool completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love you focaccias with interesting toppings check my Italian focaccia with spiced potatoes. (foto below)